Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trevors - cold - changing minds - what happened?

Sunday, back to Trevors. Well, at least Py felt like giving it a try. As it was a really cold morning, at 7am he could not even see the "Mercury" (actually red alcohol) column in his outdoors thermometer, what means the reading is some where below -10C (14F). Brrrr + wind chill, uuuch. OK, he had the chance to jump on the ride just in his home town and estimated them to come by about 25 minutes past start (8:15 fro the B and 8:30 for the As) at earliest giving a little more time for the sun get get higher and warm up things a bit. However, at these conditions you never know how riders start out exactly and he left his place by 8:28 to eventually catch up with the B's. It was wicked cold, the previously muddy ground rock solid. Dry. He rode "into" the route a bit as it was anything but advisable to stop and wait, little warmup -- felt more like a cool down riding into the wind, just icy. Not far out just over the road towards the fire house a few riders came up the little slope. Making a U-turn ahead of them to mix in -- so much better going with the wind!

Johnney, John, Robbin, Owen, Kevin and few more. Shortly later a fat fixing stop for Johnney....

Brrrrrr waiting again. Then moving up to King Rd all sudden -- no wonder with that long flat fix -- four (or was it five of them?) of A's came along and Py thought to tag on and see how it goes -- a no risk fun as the B's were behind now. They were flying as they were on a chase... Brian ahead. Sitting at the last wheel worked out just until next town, in Wading River Py lost them and let go... making it himself up the hill after the Duck Pond and 1/2 way up turned around to get back to the B's. Moving on with them, ending up pulling big part and about all the rest of the ride. One more flat for Johnney laster on Osborn. Not sure what happened, but by then only Robbin, John Johnney and Owen were left -- no one else in sight.

Initially Py had in mind to bail off at the turn into Bartlett and ride to the "Camp" to get some work done -- but decided not to do so and completed the ride. The break and no food there would not have done any good today. Get there later tonight.

Little after Yaphank all sudden two riders of the A group showed up from behind -- how can that be??? Little playing at the hill E Bartlett -- but Py lost all of them, OK, no play time, waiting up and steady pulling back (at this time only John and Robbin left..???). The other two riders did not even tried to hang on, also not sure where Own went, may be stayed with them.
The two "lost" A's got cold and tired and stopped at the Yaphank Deli as it sounded....

Back on North Country making his way home.

Weird ride. But just fine getting a bit tired back home, feeling good. Except a little dehydrated and very hungry -- as Py only managed to drink 1/2 bottle of fluids out of two. Hard to handle with that heavy gloves, part frozen either way and not time and not intentions even to try to eat this rock solid cold cliff bar he took along...

He felt pretty much fine from his clothing so, this Fugu Jack is just awesome, just right, not hot not cold. These Defroster shoes were about at the edge today without extra covers, but worked fine. Putting these Ski gloves on was a great idea and very cozy at all items :-)

But still, a hot shower felt good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment